Friday, December 18, 2009

Dangerous World

I was on my way to pick up my daughter from school this afternoon when I witnessed a carjacking. I was stopped at a red light when I saw a guy get into the passenger side of a Camaro ahead and to the right of me. Then I saw the drivers side door open and the driver's legs hanging out and shaking. it looked like there was a struggle going on. A pickup was in front of me, and I saw the driver leaning over to look into the car at his right. Then the light changed and the pickup started pulling forward. As I pulled up to the Camaro and looked in, I saw two men struggling in the front seats, then I heard a gunshot. I decided quickly that I was not going to remain in the line of fire and pulled forward and through the light. As I pulled forward I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the driver of the car get out and fall down in the roadway, where he lay as I continued away from the scene. I promptly pulled out my phone and called 911.

A couple of things I figured out during and after this: One, I'm glad that I kept my wits and did not freeze up upon hearing the gunshot. Two, my experience with 911 was less than satisfactory, as I had to explain everything twice, first to the operator and then to dispatch. I would not want to count on a prompt response if my life was at stake. Three, I'm glad that I resisted the urge to immediately intervene when I first saw the struggle going on. I had no way to know what was really going on and did not know that the guy in the passenger seat was armed. Four, I realized that I often drive around without taking note of people and vehicles around me. I've got to remember to lock my doors and be more aware.

A while later I drove past the intersection on my way back to work. The street was totally blocked off with police cars. The local news reports that the victim was shot in a carjacking and transported to a local hospital. I hope he has a speedy recovery. The police found the perp hiding in a doghouse about an hour and a half later.

I'm not really shaken up at all about it, it just makes me think how lax I have been about security. Oh well, plenty of time to think about it this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment