Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm on the Radar

Over the years I have defended a few people against state action, from minor criminal charges to the Division of Children and Family Services taking parents' children away from them. One phrase I have used with clients is, "You're on the radar. Be careful." I believe that someone who has been charged with an offense is less likely to be accorded the benefit of the doubt in future actions by police and prosecutors, even if the charge did not result in a conviction. Similarly, once DCFS has been involved with one's family, it is more likely that DCFS will apply additional scrutiny to that family in the future.

I have to wonder if I am "on the radar" now. Every once in a while I check to see who has been visiting this blog. I don't get a lot of visitors, and that's okay because I mainly write for myself. This morning I noticed that I had a visit from the United States Department of Justice. Interesting.

Well, I am still going to be the same politically incorrect troublemaker. Agitating for change isn't a crime. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment