Monday, February 16, 2009

My very first rant....

Jeez, I just can't believe what I read sometimes. I firmly believe that government is the root of most of our current problems. Granted, this is not to say that we would be problem-free without government, but it seems that government intervention multiplies a problem to the point that the cure is ten times worse than the original malady.

Now, I just read today on a prepper site the proposition that less government intervention and lower taxes bear some responsibility for today's economic mess. Where do I even start on this?

Off the top of my head, government does little more than suck up resources and limit choices. Regulation by Uncle Sugar costs money, and that means taxes. When you pay more taxes, you have less money to spend, and therfore fewer choices. The regulation itself limits what is available in the marketplace, whether it be beans, bullets, or even that home loan.


If people want to make risky investments, I believe that they have that right and should eat their losses when things don't work out. If you get a mortgage for a home you have no hope of being able to afford and you end up in foreclosure and living in a van down by the river, so be it. If you loaned the money for the mortgage to the guy who could not afford the home and ended up living in a van down by the river, maybe your bank should go under. Where are the Darwinists when we need them? Instead, we get stupid people who think government should rush in to rescue people from their own stupidity.


Now, if people are too stupid to be able to manage their own lives and want government to tax away the majority of their income and then dictate what can be purchased with the remainder, I suppose that is their right. Get your hand out for the handout, the Obama Express has a payout for everyone. Don't worry about how it's going to be paid for. Just get your hunk-o-pork. Hope that salty, greasy, unfulfilling gob of government goo is worth trading away your freedom.

I, for one, am not a sheeple and do not want Uncle Sugar taking my money and calling the shots. I refuse to submit to the idea of the collective good trumping my personal rights. I will not trade my personal freedoms for a hunk of government cheese and a side of government pork. I am also not willing to pay for anyone else's cheese and pork, and I am not willing to foist the bill upon my children. I am one of the sixty percent of Americans who actually pays taxes. So please, give me more deregulation and lower my taxes!

No comments:

Post a Comment